Welcome to Key Stage 3
At Swanlea, we have a 3 year (Years 7-9) KS3 curriculum which is broad and balanced in offering all students the opportunity to build their skills and knowledge in a range of subjects.
Our Key Stage 3 Curriculum:
- Realises our school mission, vision and values
- Has breadth, balance and coherence
- Is ambitious, academic and challenging for all
- Is rigorously constructed and sequenced to enable deep, long- term learning, preparing pupils for the next stage of their education
- Instils a life-long love of learning, equipping students with powerful knowledge and skills
Students study the full range of National Curriculum subjects and are taught in mixed ability groupings in all subjects apart from English, Maths and Science, which operate on a setting system from early on in Year 7.
In Year 9 Students continue to study the following subjects at Key Stage 3. English, Maths, Science, Modern Foreign Languages, Computer Science, Music, Drama & PE, alongside our creative option pathway. Students select 1 KS 4 subject to study in Years 9 & 10 which is examined at the end of Year 10. RE also becomes a GCSE course and is examined at the end of Year 10.
We provide additional support for students in Literacy and Numeracy and for those with specific learning or language difficulties from specially trained support and teaching staff.