Swanlea School Curriculum
Swanlea School Vision
At Swanlea we will:
- Develop socially confident, responsible, resilient and independent learners
- Create respectful, empathetic and active citizens who value democracy, liberty and the rule of law in British society
- Develop highly numerate, literate and articulate young people, instilling a life-long love of learning
- Promote cultural capital and celebrate difference, instilling an understanding and appreciation of diversity
- Nurture aspiration and ambition challenging all to achieve, readying pupils for the global work place
- Promote student wellbeing, safety and healthy lifestyles, positively managing their academic, personal and social lives
Swanlea School Curriculum Intent
Our curriculum will:
- Realise our school mission, vision and values
- Have breadth, balance and coherence
- Be ambitious, academic and challenging for all
- Be rigorously constructed and sequenced to enable deep, long- term learning, preparing pupils for the next stage of their education
- Instil a life-long love of learning, equipping students with powerful knowledge and skills
Swanlea School’s curriculum comprises the total learning experience of our pupils, designed to realise our mission, values and vision.
Our curriculum has 2 strands:
Formal curriculum – the powerful subject distinctive knowledge that students need to learn; what students experience in the classroom. It is carefully sequenced content that creates a coherent learning journey for our students from year 7 to year 13.
Extended curriculum – the opportunities both inside and outside of lesson time that deepen students’ cultural experience, social confidence and wider skills and knowledge.